Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mel's Letter to Lizzy

Dear Lizzy,

I wanted to start off by welcoming you to the O'Malley Clan. Gohn Shi. We've known you forever, so it's not really surprising to wake up one morn and find you married into our clan. I'm writing you because you and I have been friends for a long, long time, and I want to tell you what's going on here in the black. You know the basics, I'm a pilot for a gang of Bounty Hunters flying on a beautiful ship called the Lazy Swan. Firefly-Class transport. I have to confide in someone, and it can't be the folks, since they would just say to come on back home, and hide in the family homestead. Not me. Not until I redeemed myself. Better to die on my feet than live on my knees, and all that Mi Tian Gohn, if you know what I mean.

So I'm no coward. I've said that before, but there's one thing that scares the gosse outta me, and it's so awful, so completely frightening that... Wo Bu Shin Wo Dah Yan Jing!!

We were delivering the body of one of our se duhng to her family. We landed on her planet and made contact with her family. Seems her sister, who looks just like her, is a talented gunsmith, so we did some business with my paltry earnings and I have this shiny new piece, ready for action. She's got the new Dz-07 Flash suppressor, and a kick to her that you won't find short of Nien Mohn sidearm. Back to the ship, still amazed at my find, and I find that this former soldier in our crew been bushwacked. I don't know who he run afoul of, but there he is, rubbing his head like he got walloped something dreadful, and as we go after the body...

I've heard people tell of Reavers. I heard people tell that they were like the bogeyman, coming out of nowhere and doing things to people that even writing down would make ya sick. I've heard people say that encountering them, and you'll not even think straight. Just hear a sickening scream in your mind. They ain't making that up. I was piloting and this awful big ship come up behind us, shooting harpoons and metal things in order to snag us like a fish. I jinked, I rolled that little shuttle. Did everything I could to keep her away from those ung jeong jia ching jien soh. And I wish that were just an expression, but I suspect it isn't.

We had to go back, and get to this gals family. So, the next thing I know, we're going back into a town that is under attack from Reavers. I saw one, Lizzy! This thing was maybe twenty yards away, and me and the crew were shooting from the shuttle. I couldn't leave any of my crew down there, but it took everything we could throw at this thing to bring him down. We did it, finally, but it left me with my heart in my throat. I was ready to stick that shiny new piece in my mouth rather than be taken by this thing, and that isn't easy for a girl like me.

So, why do I stay? There's this fellow. He doesn't know I exist, and I don't know if he'd be interested in me that way. But he's a great fellow, funny, tough, bounty hunter. I don't think he's married, and he was seeing someone in our crew, I think, but she's the one that got stole from us. I don't know if I just like following him into danger or there's more, but he's got this quirky strange way about him. The whole crew is First rate, but this one in particular. He's my hero, even over the Captain, and that's saying a lot. Captain first saw me as a pilot of his ship and hired me in!

I don't know where this is all going, but I had to tell you about the encounter with the Reaver. Everytime I lay myself down for bed, I can see that... thing. I know people say they're men gone wild. There's nothing about these things that are human. These things are the most horrible creatures, smelling foul with metal and pins and cutting on themselves.

So, just had to let someone know what is going on with me. Don't you breathe a word to my brother, or anyone in the family. Ma and Pa don't need to hear on this one.

Love ya, Good luck with the baby! And send along a note if the mood takes you.

--Your faithful puhn yoh,

Mel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home