Friday, December 02, 2005

Thea's Diary: Entry 1138 (Tiger 2518)

Dear Friend,

Why did I sign up for this job? I mean, I love Mel like the sis I never had, but I'm startin to wonder if this is the right life for me.

So, today the Captain headed off to gamble away what little funds he last left in the hopes of raisin some money for the debts. Could the big poof be any more frivolous with his money? Thank The Lord that Pa taught me to handle my money better than that. Any how, Mel and I stayed behind to work on ship a little. Nothin major, just routine maintenance. I have to say, I love that mule. Nothin quite like the tractors back home but kinda got a familiarity to it.

So, Cap's been gone for a while when he shows up with two city slickers carrying some gal. He looked a little nervous about somethin but couldn't gather quite what. I was hoping his luck at cards had finally changed and he brought them here to pay up, when he started showing them around the ship. Looked like he was plannin on sellin the rest of his silly "shares" to them. I'm still not quite sure what the heck I that means, even after he coned me into buying some. So, when he calls Mel up to the bridge, I figure what's coming next and try to head to my bunk but he wants to run a "Crazy Ivan", so I head back to the engine room. I'm so glad Mel's so good as what she does. So, I'm back there hanging on for dear life when that sketch gal comes wandering in looking for one of the fellas. I send her up to the bridge and she gets in a huff cause I'm workin and can't hold her hand. Like I got time for that. Don't know who spit in her bean curd, but looks like she ain't savin none of her charm for me, not like I care.

After a spell, Mel puts 'er down, I need to talk to her about those landings, and the Cap gets to jawin with these fellers about buying a stake in the ship. Meanwhile the bit of fluff starts messing around in the kitchen, helping herself to our food and making a right mess of the place without even having the decency to ask. Just like city folk. Never ask us for nothin. Just come in without askin and takin whatever they want. And on top of that she was just ruinin my fresh fruits. Why would anyone want to go around messin up good food like that? Ain't like we'll be able to get nothin fresh further out. Fresh stuff is hard enough to find on the border, let alone on the rim. I just hope my garden starts growin more soon or I may starve. I miss apples fresh off the trees and Ma's home cookin. Mel's a right good cook, she just tends to over cook the eggs and bacon. Any how like I was sayin, I tried to talk some sense into the captain, I mean really what did he know about these folks? Like I was really going to believe that gal was related to the younger guy. Guess it don't matter what I reckon, cause he sold his "shares" and now the ship has new owners. What a bubn dahn. Cap insisted that I take them to get their stuff and they spent the night on the ship. I made double sure to lock my bunk and spent some time readin my Bible and tendin my garden before rolling out my mat.

Next mornin I reckoned I was feelin a mite better. About ran into Egg on the way to breakfast. Odd duck, but still seems mostly harmless. Got to the galley late and was rudely reminded about yesterday's mess. The old guy looked pretty calm and peaceful, but the younger guy was stewin about somethin. At least Mel had managed to make some breakfast so I had somethin to eat. Cap and the city slickers had some money stuff to take care off, and the new gal wanted to go with. Mel was being all sweet, as usual, and offered to show her around and do some shoppin. I reckoned I'd get some more grub and maybe try to find some different lettuce seeds. They ain't cheap, but looked like I might have to go hungry from time to time from now on. Peace at last once they left. Egg gave me a list of things to get for him, which at least meant more time off the ship, and I headed out to the park. It's so nice to walk on grass again. If Mel weren't so darned thrilled to be flyin again, I'd ask them dandified fellers if they wanted to buy my shares while they were at it. I have to say it was a nice trip. I'm gonna miss Santos a bit. I was right and those lettuce seeds were a pain to find, but I figure they'll be worth every credit in the end. I thankfully got back before the rest and headed to the galley to put the stuff away. The rest came in soon after with the Captain lookin pleased as punch. I figure the sale went off with out a hitch. Mel started handin out presents, I ain't sure where she got the credits but she seemed right pleased with herself. She gave me the frilliest pink and blue dress I ever laid eyes on. Bet I'd look like a sheep prancin on it's hind legs around the ship in that thing. Reckon I was a little overly harsh on Mel about it, I'll have to make it up to her later, but I can't figure when I would ever wear such a thing. Certainly not around the ship, and I already got me a perdy church dress.

After the presents the captain wanted to go dancin. Everyone thought it was a good idea, so I went and put on a nice blouse. Cap said I looked right perdy. Bet he was just tryin to make me feel better, but he ain't so bad at times. Mei-mei looks nice as always and seemed pretty excited to go. The club was packed, and Mel and the Captain were off dancin and havin fun. Mel offered me a drink from time to time, but someone had to keep an eye out for trouble, especially as I don't really trust these new fellers yet. Of course trouble found us. At least he just seemed to be after the new girl. Now, she ain't done nothin to put herself in my good graces, but somethin about a guy pullin a knife on a gal is just wrong. Only thing I can't figure out is how I just managed to grazed him. Thank The Lord that one of us has enough smarts to bring their guns. Any how, next thing I know the place is going as crazy as a chicken coup with a coyote in it. Mel knocks one guy flat on his ass and another opens fire. Next time I go to a club with her, I need to remember my body armor. Thankfully I hit the ground in time, then was able to get a good blow in with my knife while Mel had him distracted. I ain't quite sure what happened to the other guys, but by the time I turned around it was over. I told Mel to find the Captain while I went lookin for my gun, and then we hightailed it out of there. That little tramp has a lot of explaining to do. She wants to get herself killed, I figure that's fine with me, but leave the Captain, Mel and me out of it.

What I really couldn't believe was that meh lien dun jyah jee was still with us headin back to the ship. I wanted to ask Mel why we were letting her trail along, but they were both helping the Captain. I could tell she already had her hooks into the younger fella, so I had to ask the tall one, which of course would have been easier if someone had bothered to tell me that he's deaf!

Shit. That's the captain callin. I best get goin or I'll be humped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home